Tuesday 22 May 2012

How sweet it is

Mrs D was sitting at the dining table the other afternoon, with a coin purse in her hand. She doesn't normally carry a purse, so I wondered what she was up to.

me: Hey Mrs D., whatcha doing?
her: I'm a bit worried today
me: why's that?

she opened the purse and showed me about 20 individual serve packets of artificial sweetener that we keep in bowls on the dining tables.

her: I've got all these bus tickets, but I don't know where they go to ...
me: well, it looks to me like they're return tickets, so they'd all bring you back here, wouldn't they?
her: oh, that's a relief!


Often residents think that these bright blue packets are money, and will  pick up handfuls and put them in purses, wallets, pockets etc. One day a family member gave me a huge rubbishbag full of packets of sugar, sweetener, biscuits, jam, butter etc that her mother had squirrelled away in her room, along with multiple rolls of  toilet paper and rubbish bags.

No comments:

Post a Comment